Hello Parents and Caregivers:
The nurses of Colonial School District would like to thank you for all you do for "our" students. Here are some reminders about what your student will need when school re-starts in August.
Documentation of the following required immunizations are due to the nurse before school starts.
- 4 doses of DTaP (Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis) properly spaced with the last dose give after age 4
- 3 doses of Polio, properly spaced with the last dose given after age 4
- 3 doses of Hepatitis B, properly spaced
- 2 doses of MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) given after age 1 and properly spaced
- 2 doses of Varicella (Chicken Pox) given after age 1 and properly spaced
- All of the above plus
- 1 dose of Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis) given after age 11
- 1 dose of Meningitis Conjugate (Menactra, MCV)
- All of the above plus
- Second dose of Meningitis Conjugate (Menactra, MCV) given after age 16
We understand that some students have medical reasons that they cannot receive vaccines (Medical Exemption) and that some caretakers do not want all or certain vaccines to be given (Ethical and Religious Exemptions). Written notice from the doctor for a Medical Exemption or from a caretaker for Ethical and Religious Exemptions must be provided to the nurse upon registration, before 7th grade and before 12th grade.
If there is an outbreak (as defined by the health department) of any vaccine preventable illness in the school, a student who is exempt from that vaccine for any reason will be excluded from school per the health department. The exclusion will last as long as the health department requires.
A completed physical exam report is required for entrance into school, 6th grade and 11th grade. Any exam dated after July 1 of the year before starting that grade is acceptable. Please send the completed physical exam report to the nurse by October 15.
Click on the link for the physical exam report form:
A completed dental exam report is required for entrance into school, 3rd grade and 7th grade. Any exam dated after July 1 of the year before starting that grade is acceptable. Please send the completed dental exam report to the nurse by October 15.
Click on the link for the dental exam report form:
If your child will be taking medication from home during the school day, a new completed medication dispensing form needs to be sent to school annually, along with the medication in the original, labeled pharmacy container. Students MAY NOT bring medication to school — that must be done by an adult. Please be sure the medication you are sending to school is not expired.
Click on the link for the medication dispensing form:
SNAP Parent Portal
SNAP Parent Portal needs updating annually. The Portal will be available for updating in mid-August for school year 2020-2021. Please update your child's information before the start of school. Be sure to include an emergency contact who can pick up your child within 30 minutes of a call from the nurse. Instructions for accessing the SNAP Parent Portal:
- Go to CSD Website
- Click Parent/Guardian (top right)
- Go to left side menu and choose PowerSchool
- Sign into your PARENT PowerSchool account with your user name and password
- Click top right symbol (applications)
- Click SNAP Health Portal
- Select child (top left)
- Check permission box (middle bottom) – Confirm permission to treat and transport child
- Personal details and contacts – Confirm all info is correct (duplicates may show, it's OK)
- Allergy/Condition – Click top right arrow to ADD new alert
- Vaccines – Current immunizations show here
- Meds – Click your preferences for over-the-counter meds and SAVE. If you choose not to give permission for any over-the-counter-medications, the nurse cannot give them at school, per her license.
Seasonal Flu Vaccine
As COVID-19 is expected to return with a second round in the Fall/Winter, you are strongly encouraged to have your child receive a seasonal flu vaccine. Flu vaccines usually are released in August. Remember, it takes about 2 weeks to develop immunity after receiving the flu vaccine.
Please feel free to contact your school nurse with any questions. Even though the nurses will be on summer break, we do check our emails on a regular basis. Listed below are the email contacts for your nurses.