Colonial School Bus Safety Guidelines
Student safety is the top priority of the Transportation Department. Students and parents should review the following safety guidelines prior to each school year. Please be advised that it is the parent's or guardian's responsibility to see that the child safely boards and departs the bus each day.
- At your bus stop
- Boarding and riding the bus
- Leaving your bus
- Additional safety regulations
- Violations of the rules
- Activity Buses
- Emergency school bus procedures statement
- You must arrive at your bus stop five minutes prior to your stop time. When leaving home, go directly to your bus stop.
- Respect the property and peace of the people who live at or near your bus stop.
- Use your assigned bus stop each day.
- Stand away from the roadway either on the sidewalk or on the shoulder of the road.
- Wait until your bus comes to a complete stop before moving to board it.
- If you must cross the street to board the bus, wait until it has stopped, the red school bus lights are flashing and the driver signals that it is safe to cross. Then, look both ways and cross the street fifteen feet in front of the bus.
- Board your bus in an orderly manner.
- Take a seat and remain seated until your bus reaches your destination.
- Talk in a normal tone so that you do not distract the driver.
- Keep the aisle and emergency exits clear of all belongings.
- Respect the rights of other passengers. Bullying will not be tolerated.
- Drinking and eating are not permitted on the bus.
- Pointed or sharp objects such as pens, pencils or scissors should be carried in a case or container.
- Do not throw objects on the bus.
- Do not put your head or hands out the windows.
- Do not deface, damage or tamper with any of the bus equipment, including the emergency exits.
- Obey your driver at all times.
- Get off at your assigned stop.
- Assist younger children when leaving the bus.
- Do not walk along the side of the bus or behind the bus.
- If you must cross the street, walk fifteen feet in front of the bus and then look up at your driver for his/her okay to step into the street. Then, walk only to the outside edge of the bus, stop and look both ways to be certain all traffic has stopped and then proceed to the other side of the street.
- Go directly home.
- Students may ride only the bus to which they are assigned. Permission to ride another bus may be granted by the student’s principal for emergency purposes. An Official Bus Pass granting such permission, signed by the principal for emergency purposes, must be presented to the school bus driver. A note from the parent will not be accepted by the driver. The student should bring the parent’s note to principal’s office in order to receive a bus pass.
- Live animals, firearms, explosives or anything of a dangerous or objectionable nature are not permitted on school buses. Also, gym bags, band instruments, school projects and other similar items are not permitted on the school bus unless they can be held on the pupil’s lap without endangering the safety of other pupils.
- Moderately sized instruments are permitted on the bus, however some instruments are too large to be transported on buses. Examples are: baritone sax, baritone horn, bass trombone, cello, drums, electric bass, electric piano, marimba, mellophone, sousaphone, string bass, tuba, xylophone or an amplifier system.
- The kindergarten children must be met by a responsible adult only at the specified bus stop. The adult cannot be inside a house or at a doorway/garage waiting. They must be outside at the bus stop clearly visible to the driver and child.
- The bus driver will notify the pupil of minor violations.
- The bus driver will report serious or repeated violations to the school principal in writing.
- The school principal will investigate the incident to determine if disciplinary action is necessary.
- Riding the school bus is a privilege. Repeated and/or serious misconduct could result in a loss of riding privileges.
Emergency School Bus Procedures
For late bus information, please call the bus company, First Student, at 610-272-7671.
Check Your Child's Bus Information Online
PUBLIC SCHOOL PARENTS:
Look for your child's transportation information through PowerSchool. Click here to go to PowerSchool.