Colonial Middle School offers students many opportunities to get involved in sports, clubs, music ensembles or other activities both during and after the regular school day. Many of the groups meet during the last period, known as Activity Period. Other groups, including the sports teams and the musical, require an extensive commitment outside of school.
Click through the selections on the left to see what activities are available after school.
HOW ACTIVITY PERIOD WORKS:
- On Mondays and Fridays, students go to Activity Period. Teachers offer a wide variety of choices and incorporate both an academic and recreational emphasis into the activity program. There are three activity cycles within one school year, and the cycles coincide with the sports seasons. Students choose the activity they'd like to join at the beginning of each cycle.
- On Tuesdays and Thursdays, this time period is set aside as Learning Time. Students may work in their homeroom on assignments and projects as well as make appointments with specific teachers for extra help.
- Music options are also available during this thirty-five minute period on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Students may choose to participate in chorus, band and/or orchestra.
- Teachers are flexible and work with students that need extra help, but at times that means students may miss an activity or music in order to get needed help with their academics.
- Wednesdays are set aside for Class Meeting Time that includes discussions and activities that help establish a climate that nurtures and respects all students. Some Wednesdays are early dismissal days, and the students all leave promptly at 1:50. On these days, the teachers and administration meet in teams to address student needs, share best practices and examine data for planning meaningful and rigorous lessons.