The science curriculum encourages all students to learn through inquiry by applying the scientific method and provides classroom experiences that draw from real world and scientific contexts.
COLONIAL'S SCIENCE GOALS
- Help children develop belief that they have the ability to “do science”
- Establish a classroom climate that places critical thinking at the heart of instruction
- Assist students with the opportunity to develop a deeper understanding of science through exploration, investigation, and problem solving
- Encourage students to solve problems that require them to work cooperatively and use technology to explore and address relevant and interesting scientific ideas
- Provide opportunities for students with high levels of interests or talents in science to enrich, deepen and develop their knowledge and understanding
- Experience the spirit of scientific enterprise, discovering scientific knowledge for themselves, through laboratory experiments, field trips, performance-based projects and research
- Develop attitudes characteristic of scientists: curiosity, open-mindedness, objectivity and respect for the world around us
- Develop scientifically literate citizens who are able to read and understand science-related sources and engage in conversation with the validity of the conclusions
- Approach science-related issues responsibly
STEAM brings art into science class
Eighth grade science students prepared for studying a small stream behind Colonial Middle School -- and the plants and animals that live there -- by creating sculptures. Click here to watch a video!