The mathematics curriculum in the Colonial School District reflects the importance of mathematical literacy in an increasingly technological society. Toward this end, students are provided multiple opportunities to apply mathematics in meaningful ways as part of the learning process.
COLONIAL’S MATHEMATICS GOALS:
- Help children develop the belief that they have the power to be successful in mathematics
- Assist students in developing a deeper understanding about mathematics through exploration, investigation, and problem solving
- Provide classroom experiences that draw from both real-world and mathematical contexts
- Develop students’ reasoning, judgment and decision making skills by using a variety of strategies
- Encourage students to solve problems that require them to work cooperatively and to use appropriate tools to explore and address relevant and interesting mathematical ideas
- Provide students with an opportunity to verbally communicate and write about mathematics using rich mathematics vocabulary to explain and clarify their own thinking.
- Provide a common foundation of challenging mathematics for all students while addressing their unique mathematical needs through appropriate differentiated support.
New math standards are not new to Colonial
Math standards used to outline "what" a child had to know. The new Common Core and PA Core standards now include eight "Mathematical Practices" that outline “how” students should learn math. Click here to watch a video!